Skip to main content

Resilience Through the Second and Third Trimester

Usually this time of year I reflect on my conference ventures. In both 2015 and 2014  visual journals documented the events, people, and travels. However, things were a bit different this year. In the previous installments of this blog, I wrote about a prior pregnancy loss and the choice to keep the news of a successful pregnancy to ourselves (for as long as possible). As much as I tried to keep it casual and practical, some choices were removed from the table.


Early in the year, during the second trimester, news arrived that I'd been accepted to present at this years AATA conference -- for no less than 2 sessions. I was ecstatic, until I realized conference was only 4 weeks to the day of my 'expected' delivery date. Our OB flat out said, that I could no longer "plan" my life as I was used to, and not to count on being able to make it to anything within 2 months of the birth. The final decision was mine, and although it pained me withdrawing from conference highlighted the impact of pregnancy on professional practice. But it wasn't the only change.

As described by several authors (Dyson & King, 2008; McGourty, 2013; Schmidt, Fiorini, & Ramires, 2015) and noticed by those who have chosen to work while pregnant, boundaries take a major hit during this time. The bigger the bump, the lower boundaries go on part of the "other". I'm not talking about advice, that comes at you from all angles and theres no way around it. I'm referring to the less nuanced but quite unsettling increase in comments of a sexual nature. I expected and received many comments about my "weight gain", it was after that stage, once things began to look like what they were -- then, doubt went out the window and the comments became bolder.

"Dam, girl the extra weight looks good on you."

"Looking good. I find women sexier when they are pregnant."

"Still looking sexy."

Still, as the bump grew ever more pronounced, physical boundaries decreased to near extinction. Individuals I had not seen in months or years and some whom I did not even know, went immediately for that "touch" first, questions later.

Never so much as an, "excuse my touch" -- while pregnant your identity shifts and for those months (and if nursing possibly longer)  you digress into a sexualized being first and foremost. This in spite of any professional gains.

So where I ask (no one in particular) is this conversation in the art therapy profession? For a group where the majority are females of reproductive age, these topics affecting their professional practices are not heard nearly enough.

Next Post: A time for change and resiliency.





Dyson, E. & King, G. (2008). The pregnant therapist. Psychodynamic Practice, 14:1, 27-42, DOI: 10.1080/14753630701768958

McGourty, A. (2013). The pregnant therapist and the psychotic client: A phenomenological understanding of the impact of the therapist’s pregnancy on the therapeutic process, European Journal of Psychotherapy & Counselling, 15:1, 18-31, DOI: 10.1080/13642537.2013.763462

Schmidt, F. M. D.,  Fiorini, G. P., & Ramires, V. R. R. (2015). Psychoanalytic psychotherapy and the pregnant therapist: A literature review. Research in psychotherapy: Psychopathology, process and Outcome, 18:2, 50-61, DOI:10.741/RP.2015.107

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capturing a Moment: Gelatin Printing

Lets just get right down to it, you've either tried it and loved it or you're currently wondering what I'm talking about. Gelatin prints that's what. A few years ago a student introduced me to the wonders of using homemade gelatin as a printing plate (sugar free kind). As it turns out it is a very versatile work surface that brings an element of intrigue and play into the work space. When my clients first hear I'll be bringing in gelatin, they seek out napkins and forks and eagerly away the obviously tasty snack. The sound of dreams shattering as I pull-out the gelatin plates is audible (if only short lived). Soon everyone is poking and wiggling the gelatin and wondering what we'll be doing with it. Play is an important aspect of what I do. So is creativity and genuine interest. These things are however harder to come-by in adults than their younger counterparts (who jump-into explorer mode instinctively).  Sometimes I have to coerce these attr

Stress Relief Recipe Book

Found some time this weekend to de-stress and what better way than delving into one of those “for later” piles. This particular pile consisted of a menagerie of brown paper bags (and the envelopes they were mailed-in). They were accompanied by notes, quotes, dyed papers, hand made paper, ribbons, and on and on, etc.   These bits of mail have been coming-in at wonderfully random intervals for maybe 2 months. Now it is time to bind the collection into the Stress Relief Recipe Book it was meant for. To the bag full of bits of mail I also added: ruler, pencil, x-acto blade (and scissors), ice-pic, elmers (and other glues), thick string, wax candle (used it to wax the string), thick-blunt needle, and cardboard. *for anyone trying this out for the first time - go ahead and make your life simpler by having the inserts all be the same measurements (or close to it). First there was extensive Pinterest and Google searches for DIY paper bag books, but those mostly consisted

Technique Book #1

Returning from this years’ AATA Conference in San Antonio thankful to have connected and reconnected with so many amazing art therapists. It’s been busy and I didn’t mean to set the blog aside, but here’s some visual yummies to begin to make things up. Last August (yep, 2013) I made a small accordion book. In this accordion style, I essentially pieces together several strips of paper into one continuous page that folds at repeating intervals. I gave the book purpose when I decided to use it as a place to document art techniques. These art techniques were small samplings of ones I would be using in my groups. Today I completed the small book and am posting some of the images here with brief dialogue on some of the techniques. If there's interest I will consider separate posts later-on. Book Cover: Layered tissue paper with pressed leaves. Accordion style pages were 'seamed' with strips of tea bags. On left: Tea bag sheets can be used to age/antique.   On