Skip to main content

Altered Book {Intern Edition}: Work in Progress Preview 3


In the previous posts I described some of the attributes you may want to look for when selecting a children's book which to alter Altered Book {Intern Edition}: Work in Progress Preview 1 and then I gave a couple of research sources and tips on how to mix-media with traditional materials and organics in this post Altered Book {Intern Edition}: Work in Progress Preview 2.

In that last post I voiced my intention for the book. A sort of tribute from past experiences and resource for future interns working through an art therapy internship.

As mentioned before I'll be using nuggets of knowledge left behind from prior interns as well as more "inspirational" sorts of generic content that I ascribe as being helpful for the students to know/think about.






It is rare for me to use 1 media...maybe rarer still is for me not to think or work in layers (tho it happens at times). On the page-spread with the white daisy for example...

  1. Background
  2. Daisy image.
  3. Glue coat on the entire page (smoothing-out with a brush in the direction I want my 'cracks' to appear).
  4. Layered paint over the moist glue to achieve 'stress' cracks. Small micro cracks caused by the difference in drying speeds between the glue under layer and the paint above. 
  5. After that layer dried I came-back with white paint to selectively extend some of the white petals of the daisy towards the pages' edge. 
  6. And only then painting-in the selected message previously written on a post-it. 
  7. Ending with a layer of sealer or watered down paint in order to bring the layers and textures together.


On this other page-spread the design is deceptively simpler...



  1. Background (gesso)
  2. Blue acrylic paint 
  3. After the background was dry the message was written in white acrylic.
  4. Then the letters were outlined with a black sharpie pen. 
  5. The red sections are all torn tissue papper.
  6. A fibrous paper was layered over the tissue to give it a " stringy " effect.
  7. Brown details.
  8. Lastly, the page received a brown wash with a sponge to unify the components and give it more of the 'eeky' feeling i was going for...some words were 'polished' to keep them bright. 
And so it goes, while layers can be planned, it doesn't always work-out that way. I find that there's a fair amount of willingness and learning to 'let-go' that needs to take place whenever I am creating. It is part of processing through whatever is on my mind. Which is also what I try to instill on the students... MAKE ART because you want to... MAKE IT because you can... and because when all else fails it is your ART that will help you make sense of it.

I told a client last week: Cultivating flexibly allows us to adapt and respond to the curve balls.... and isn't that what art is all about?!

Next post I'll show & tell about another 2 page spreads where layering was stepped-up a notch with either collage materials (ie. magazine images) or traditional media (ie. paint, stains, inks, etc). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capturing a Moment: Gelatin Printing

Lets just get right down to it, you've either tried it and loved it or you're currently wondering what I'm talking about. Gelatin prints that's what. A few years ago a student introduced me to the wonders of using homemade gelatin as a printing plate (sugar free kind). As it turns out it is a very versatile work surface that brings an element of intrigue and play into the work space. When my clients first hear I'll be bringing in gelatin, they seek out napkins and forks and eagerly away the obviously tasty snack. The sound of dreams shattering as I pull-out the gelatin plates is audible (if only short lived). Soon everyone is poking and wiggling the gelatin and wondering what we'll be doing with it. Play is an important aspect of what I do. So is creativity and genuine interest. These things are however harder to come-by in adults than their younger counterparts (who jump-into explorer mode instinctively).  Sometimes I have to coerce these attr

Stress Relief Recipe Book

Found some time this weekend to de-stress and what better way than delving into one of those “for later” piles. This particular pile consisted of a menagerie of brown paper bags (and the envelopes they were mailed-in). They were accompanied by notes, quotes, dyed papers, hand made paper, ribbons, and on and on, etc.   These bits of mail have been coming-in at wonderfully random intervals for maybe 2 months. Now it is time to bind the collection into the Stress Relief Recipe Book it was meant for. To the bag full of bits of mail I also added: ruler, pencil, x-acto blade (and scissors), ice-pic, elmers (and other glues), thick string, wax candle (used it to wax the string), thick-blunt needle, and cardboard. *for anyone trying this out for the first time - go ahead and make your life simpler by having the inserts all be the same measurements (or close to it). First there was extensive Pinterest and Google searches for DIY paper bag books, but those mostly consisted

Technique Book #1

Returning from this years’ AATA Conference in San Antonio thankful to have connected and reconnected with so many amazing art therapists. It’s been busy and I didn’t mean to set the blog aside, but here’s some visual yummies to begin to make things up. Last August (yep, 2013) I made a small accordion book. In this accordion style, I essentially pieces together several strips of paper into one continuous page that folds at repeating intervals. I gave the book purpose when I decided to use it as a place to document art techniques. These art techniques were small samplings of ones I would be using in my groups. Today I completed the small book and am posting some of the images here with brief dialogue on some of the techniques. If there's interest I will consider separate posts later-on. Book Cover: Layered tissue paper with pressed leaves. Accordion style pages were 'seamed' with strips of tea bags. On left: Tea bag sheets can be used to age/antique.   On