Skip to main content

Tapered Fall/Winter Musings

A Leaf on the Wind - Tissue paper, Fall leaves, Sharpie

My musings have been tapering-off for a while now. A slow drain and depletion of my usual spontaneity. I’ve found myself explaining to others and myself that “I just don’t have the time I used to”...”this week has been busy”...”maybe next week?” ... “or the next”...


The excuses are piling-up and so too are the stashes of ideas.


Lets get one thing down, just because I have been unable to work on any one given thing for any length of time does not mean that my “warehouse” is empty. Oh, far from it. With all the work and life stresses I still ‘think’ in pictures.


So, as things go when they don’t GO the way we are used-to. I now find myself compensating for my recent lack of habitual visual expression by squirreling away idea stashes. A pressed leaf, a meticulously emptied and unfolded tea bag [quite reminiscent of the mantle of turin], word clippings, and half a vespa. The stashes are everywhere. Journals and books are replete with flattened and falling-apart things that needed safe-keeping. These are different from my usual collections of items which are kept in purposeful drawers and boxes with similar objects and labeled. In sharing the crease of a book the squirrely stashes are held together -- a loose promise with the hopes of becoming something more.  


“I just don’t have the time I used to”...”this week has been busy”...”maybe next week?” ... “or the next”...


I used to have a phrase written on my work desk: A messy desk is signs of a creative mind. After long days of putting-out fires, work on my dissertation has slowed to a crawl. Taking time to draw, or paint, or journal (much less blog) seems counter intuitive and even shameful. How could I dedicate time to this escape, when I have so much to do!?


Now that I know, maybe I can reverse some of it.


In some of my web-wanderings I came across a blog post where ‘art’ was categorized for the purpose it served. Maybe its’ intention. It was just a line, maybe a title to a section but it stayed with me and after a few minutes that is all I could think about. Here is where that crumb trail lead me.


I have been making art for most of my life, and for most of my school-aged-life it has been for the amusement of others (ie. teachers, schools, parents, etc). It wasn’t until later-on that I started to create just because I needed to. A brief look back gives me the following outline as to some of the reasons why I create art -- or more aptly: visual artifacts.


(I create) Art for the sake of...


...understanding
    - a series of events
    - a particular experience
    - an emotion
    - anger
    - frustration


...memorializing
    - those who i love and have to let-go
    - those who i need to let-go
    - those who i’ve only recently met
   
...remembering
    - dreams
    - stories
   
...processing
    - expected change
    - unexpected change
    - loss(es)
    - relationships





As long as I keep going musing-making-creating, the gaps won't seem as daunting in retrospect... So here’s to the culmination of a year of many firsts and the welcoming of a productive-creative-inspiring year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capturing a Moment: Gelatin Printing

Lets just get right down to it, you've either tried it and loved it or you're currently wondering what I'm talking about. Gelatin prints that's what. A few years ago a student introduced me to the wonders of using homemade gelatin as a printing plate (sugar free kind). As it turns out it is a very versatile work surface that brings an element of intrigue and play into the work space. When my clients first hear I'll be bringing in gelatin, they seek out napkins and forks and eagerly away the obviously tasty snack. The sound of dreams shattering as I pull-out the gelatin plates is audible (if only short lived). Soon everyone is poking and wiggling the gelatin and wondering what we'll be doing with it. Play is an important aspect of what I do. So is creativity and genuine interest. These things are however harder to come-by in adults than their younger counterparts (who jump-into explorer mode instinctively).  Sometimes I have to coerce these attr

Technique Book #1

Returning from this years’ AATA Conference in San Antonio thankful to have connected and reconnected with so many amazing art therapists. It’s been busy and I didn’t mean to set the blog aside, but here’s some visual yummies to begin to make things up. Last August (yep, 2013) I made a small accordion book. In this accordion style, I essentially pieces together several strips of paper into one continuous page that folds at repeating intervals. I gave the book purpose when I decided to use it as a place to document art techniques. These art techniques were small samplings of ones I would be using in my groups. Today I completed the small book and am posting some of the images here with brief dialogue on some of the techniques. If there's interest I will consider separate posts later-on. Book Cover: Layered tissue paper with pressed leaves. Accordion style pages were 'seamed' with strips of tea bags. On left: Tea bag sheets can be used to age/antique.   On

Stress Relief Recipe Book

Found some time this weekend to de-stress and what better way than delving into one of those “for later” piles. This particular pile consisted of a menagerie of brown paper bags (and the envelopes they were mailed-in). They were accompanied by notes, quotes, dyed papers, hand made paper, ribbons, and on and on, etc.   These bits of mail have been coming-in at wonderfully random intervals for maybe 2 months. Now it is time to bind the collection into the Stress Relief Recipe Book it was meant for. To the bag full of bits of mail I also added: ruler, pencil, x-acto blade (and scissors), ice-pic, elmers (and other glues), thick string, wax candle (used it to wax the string), thick-blunt needle, and cardboard. *for anyone trying this out for the first time - go ahead and make your life simpler by having the inserts all be the same measurements (or close to it). First there was extensive Pinterest and Google searches for DIY paper bag books, but those mostly consisted