Skip to main content

In the search for mindfulness: the "mindless" doodle



Art media properties have been a thing of fascination for me. In a brief chapter written many moons ago [Lorenzo de la Peña, S. (2015). 2-Dimensional Materials. In D. Gussak & M. Rosal (Eds.), The Wiley-BlackwellHandbook of Art Therapy [E-book version]. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishers.], I went into details on the various properties of art medias. That is something that I’ve built-on from my undergrad years as an art educator student and from sheer curiosity.

In the last 4 or so years, that attention to detail and CURIOSITY, have become the main thread in my mindfulness groups.

I work in forensic mental health. An often bleak environment with limited access to materials and rich in time. Boredom is the biggest complaint, right up there with lack of privacy and noise. The trifecta of negative behavioral expression.

In spite of the recent explosive popularity of Mindfulness; I don’t have to screen those I serve to know that over 90% of them don’t know what mindfulness is, nor have they ever heard the term.

Kabat Zin has defined mindfulness as: The awareness that emerges through paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally to the unfolding of experience moment by moment.

I break it down further and (while holding up 1 finger I say): Mindfulness is doing 1 thing at a time.
There's no need to over-complicate things, when the art media tends to do the work for you.

But why teach it in a forensic setting? Why teach it to individuals with a chronic mental illness? I mean really? Can you think of a better candidate who needs to ‘catch a break’ and ‘get out of their heads’. Art media happens to be the best way I know to reach them -- and have them connect with at least the simplest form of mindful practice.

In these groups the expectation is not 100% mindfulness; but increasing self awareness from intermittent mindful moments. Moments where the pupils allow themselves to be captivated by the media or process. Groupings of seconds where their inner voices, judgments, and self-doubts --- quiet-down.

Card doodles like the one above are easy and effective. Requiring next to nothing except (institution assigned safety-pen + card) time and dedication, these doodles are accessible anywhere. Group members take these at the end of group for an outside-the-group practice. 

Make your own with watercolors using wet on wet techniques. [Here are a couple extra examples of using doodles and repetition -- from the #creativedeed365 project in 2015]




Or better yet use tea, coffee, or wine 'spills' to serendipitously create one.
Have your pen handy, once the 'stain' dries start your doodle. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capturing a Moment: Gelatin Printing

Lets just get right down to it, you've either tried it and loved it or you're currently wondering what I'm talking about. Gelatin prints that's what. A few years ago a student introduced me to the wonders of using homemade gelatin as a printing plate (sugar free kind). As it turns out it is a very versatile work surface that brings an element of intrigue and play into the work space. When my clients first hear I'll be bringing in gelatin, they seek out napkins and forks and eagerly away the obviously tasty snack. The sound of dreams shattering as I pull-out the gelatin plates is audible (if only short lived). Soon everyone is poking and wiggling the gelatin and wondering what we'll be doing with it. Play is an important aspect of what I do. So is creativity and genuine interest. These things are however harder to come-by in adults than their younger counterparts (who jump-into explorer mode instinctively).  Sometimes I have to coerce these attr

Stress Relief Recipe Book

Found some time this weekend to de-stress and what better way than delving into one of those “for later” piles. This particular pile consisted of a menagerie of brown paper bags (and the envelopes they were mailed-in). They were accompanied by notes, quotes, dyed papers, hand made paper, ribbons, and on and on, etc.   These bits of mail have been coming-in at wonderfully random intervals for maybe 2 months. Now it is time to bind the collection into the Stress Relief Recipe Book it was meant for. To the bag full of bits of mail I also added: ruler, pencil, x-acto blade (and scissors), ice-pic, elmers (and other glues), thick string, wax candle (used it to wax the string), thick-blunt needle, and cardboard. *for anyone trying this out for the first time - go ahead and make your life simpler by having the inserts all be the same measurements (or close to it). First there was extensive Pinterest and Google searches for DIY paper bag books, but those mostly consisted

Technique Book #1

Returning from this years’ AATA Conference in San Antonio thankful to have connected and reconnected with so many amazing art therapists. It’s been busy and I didn’t mean to set the blog aside, but here’s some visual yummies to begin to make things up. Last August (yep, 2013) I made a small accordion book. In this accordion style, I essentially pieces together several strips of paper into one continuous page that folds at repeating intervals. I gave the book purpose when I decided to use it as a place to document art techniques. These art techniques were small samplings of ones I would be using in my groups. Today I completed the small book and am posting some of the images here with brief dialogue on some of the techniques. If there's interest I will consider separate posts later-on. Book Cover: Layered tissue paper with pressed leaves. Accordion style pages were 'seamed' with strips of tea bags. On left: Tea bag sheets can be used to age/antique.   On