Skip to main content

28 Days of #creativedeed365

Does it get easier on month 2, once the first 31 deeds are under your belt? Yes and No.




The daily art practice of CreativeDeed365 spearheaded by art therapist Gretchen Miller continued though February and is headed into March. So here's a quick-e report on what February brought along.

28 days of #creativedeeds365 later, some contemplations:

Format/size changed to 3"x3" square format. They were cut from several over-sized pieces of old work (you know, from my recycle pile where other magical directives come-from). However, the paper was very flimsy and I ended-up adhering it to old torn-out book pages from altered books.

I once again worked from a 'batch' that covered each day of the month. These were pre-stamped with the date and their # as well as with the typed blip on what the creativedeeds are. This definitely made it easier to just grab the one for that day and get to it. Admittedly my schedule is still struggling to allow a seemingly "self-fish" act of art making per day. I can rationalize with myself that its for a purpose and that its benefiting me as well - win-win. But the time constraints are still very real. On those days I just don't find the time I make sure to catch-up within the next few days.
Getting much better at the documentation. Lagging behind in the anonymous gifting department and building up a stock of daily art. There's a number in my head and once I reach it I find a person in my FaceBook or address book and mail them a couple.
February overall allowed me to make what I considered "cutesy" designs I normally would shun in my own art making endeavors. I also broke-into my own box of faerie dust and pixie powder and lets just say it's been hard to put down the shimmer after years of abstinence so it may very well have found its place.



That wraps-up February and its 28 days of deeds.
Looking forwards to March, I'll be using the old library cards I blogged about in Murphy in the Art Space.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capturing a Moment: Gelatin Printing

Lets just get right down to it, you've either tried it and loved it or you're currently wondering what I'm talking about. Gelatin prints that's what. A few years ago a student introduced me to the wonders of using homemade gelatin as a printing plate (sugar free kind). As it turns out it is a very versatile work surface that brings an element of intrigue and play into the work space. When my clients first hear I'll be bringing in gelatin, they seek out napkins and forks and eagerly away the obviously tasty snack. The sound of dreams shattering as I pull-out the gelatin plates is audible (if only short lived). Soon everyone is poking and wiggling the gelatin and wondering what we'll be doing with it. Play is an important aspect of what I do. So is creativity and genuine interest. These things are however harder to come-by in adults than their younger counterparts (who jump-into explorer mode instinctively).  Sometimes I have to coerce these attr

Technique Book #1

Returning from this years’ AATA Conference in San Antonio thankful to have connected and reconnected with so many amazing art therapists. It’s been busy and I didn’t mean to set the blog aside, but here’s some visual yummies to begin to make things up. Last August (yep, 2013) I made a small accordion book. In this accordion style, I essentially pieces together several strips of paper into one continuous page that folds at repeating intervals. I gave the book purpose when I decided to use it as a place to document art techniques. These art techniques were small samplings of ones I would be using in my groups. Today I completed the small book and am posting some of the images here with brief dialogue on some of the techniques. If there's interest I will consider separate posts later-on. Book Cover: Layered tissue paper with pressed leaves. Accordion style pages were 'seamed' with strips of tea bags. On left: Tea bag sheets can be used to age/antique.   On

May 2014: Cuban Art Therapist (who would have thought it!)...

[I've had this entry on draft mode since the night I read the call for papers on the last AATA journal. In essence: How art therapists grapple with cultural/diversity/identity. ] To be quite honest, I am still naive (but getting better every day). I didn't think much about diversity or culture growing-up. I don't think most of us do.  Until it happened, I stepped out of the nurturing pockets I’d grown-up in. Quite possibly there had been some hints at it, but I was unable to recognize them for what they were. Everyone else was quite like my family...then again I did not expect to be isolated because of my career choices either. Singled-out on another front for not fitting the preexisting categories. Not a teacher of children. Not a "starving" artist. Not a psychologist nor a medical doctor (didn't marry one of those either). Yes. All that is my last name...that part too. No you can't just shove some of it as a middle name. I don’t have one